To make a mix sound clearer, cut frequencies of Send Reverbs, Bass and High Frequency Sounds at 10 kHz and above.
If you mix, think of your sounds in three levels like the view on the sea:
- Under the water
- Above the watter
For example in Drum & Bass you want:
- Hihats under the water
- Kick and breaks snare on horizon
- Vocals above the water
- Play your track in a loop constantly at a medium level
- Do other stuff while track plays = listening passively
- After a while go back to your track and you will know what it misses.
- Record some audio of your instrument
- Loop random parts of it
- Use it for a new creative idea
Super tip to find your sounds based on your heart and emotion. Use the first feeling that comes up in your mind when you hear a sound: love, dreaming, stinky, crystal, red, …